Consumer Dispute Resolution

Do you want to correct information on your CIBIL Report, and don't know where to start? Click here to know more.

You can now initiate a dispute online with CIBIL for inaccuracies, account ownership and duplication of information that reflect in your Credit Report.
CIBIL does not charge its consumers for this service.

Follow the below mentioned steps to initiate dispute/s.

You can dispute multiple fields and information on your report in a single dispute by navigating each section of the report (i.e. Personal, Contact, Employment, Account Details and Enquiry).

If you registered and received your report on MYCIBIL
To Login Click Here
If you received your report from a Lender
Click here to get a free CIBIL Score & Report to access myCIBIL and conveniently resolve inaccuracies.
To Login Click Here

We recommend raising a dispute online for quicker resolution.

dispute process

Alternatively, you can raise a Dispute Request by writing to us at the following address: TransUnion CIBIL Limited, One World Centre, Tower 2A, 19th Floor, Senapati Bapat Marg, Elphinstone Road, Mumbai - 400 013.

You can also raise a dispute for any inaccuracies in your Company Credit Report (CCR). To raise a Company Dispute online, Click Here.