Resolve Report Inaccuracies

Do you want to correct information on your CIBIL Report, and don't know where to start?

You can now initiate a dispute online with CIBIL for inaccuracies, account ownership and duplication of information that reflect in your Credit Report.
CIBIL does not charge its consumers for this service.

Follow the below mentioned steps to initiate dispute/s.

You can dispute multiple fields and information on your report in a single dispute by navigating each section of the report (i.e. Personal, Contact, Employment, Account Details and Enquiry).

If you received your report from CIBIL
  • Login to myCIBIL
  • Click on Raise a Dispute Tab
  • Select the relevant section which you want to dispute
  • Select your account
To Login Click Here
If you received your report from Lender

Please Note - You will need a control number to raise a dispute. The Control Number is a unique number found on the top right hand side of your CIBIL Report. It will be helpful if you have your CIBIL Report accessible.

  • Enter your personal details and the control number in the online dispute form and click Submit
  • Select the relevant section which you want to dispute
  • To dispute any account details you need to first identify the account
To Raise a Dispute Click Here

We recommend raising a dispute online for quicker resolution.

Alternatively, you can raise a Dispute Request by writing to us at the following address: TransUnion CIBIL Limited, One Indiabulls Centre, Tower 2A, 19th Floor, Senapati Bapat Marg, Elphinstone Road, Mumbai - 400 013.

You can also raise a dispute for any inaccuracies in your Company Credit Report (CCR). To raise a Company Dispute online, Click Here.